Skip to main content

Full text of "Poland Russia and Great Britain 1941-1945"

See other formats

language. Finally; General Anders, in order to avoid further unpleasant-
ness., agreed to submit his weekly to Russian censorship. As a result, and
since the Soviets could not find any fault in it, every editorial was held
up for a long time.
Attempts were also made to play General Anders off against the Polish
Government in London, the Commanders of the Polish Divisions against
General Anders and the younger officers against their superiors, in fact, to
create a general web of intrigue and suspicion. However, the Kremlin
realised at an early stage, that any action of this type would not promise a
great success among the Polish Army and so, in that winter the Polish
Department of the Comintern began to work. The Soviet radio which had
broadcast in the Polish language disguised until then as an e Independent
Underground * station, shortly afterwards adopted the name of the
Polish national hero, and announced itself as the Soviet e Kosciuszko *
radio station, and broadcast regularly from the end of November, just
therefore at the time when General Sikorski arrived in Russia. One weekly
in the Polish language was printed and issued by a Press set up by the
Comintern—" Nowe Widnokregi" (" New Horizons ") and from
March, 1943, another " Wolna Polska " (" Free Poland ") made its
The Kremlin still wavered in its policy regarding the creation
of this Army, and the tendency manifested time and time again
was to limit the number of Polish troops then being organised in the Soviet
Union. The Russians had given the difficulty of food as a reason, but
since they were about to mobilise twenty-five million of their own people,
the question of food for fifty thousand was a mere trifle in comparison.
Finally, on November 6th, the Soviet military authorities presented
General Anders with a demand to the effect that only thirty thousand men
could be retained in the Polish Army, since only food for this number
could be provided. The remainder must be discharged and return
from whence they had come. A similar statement made by Molotov was
handed to the Polish Ambassador in London.
In the meantime, many thousands of the arriving exiles had had to be
turned back owing to lack of supplies and they made their way southwards
1 to a warmer climate, where it was hoped they might find the means of
existing in agricultural work of some kind. The majority, however, died
of malaria; any survivors were eventually absorbed in the Polish Army
when it arrived in Turkestan.
On November 15th,, General Anders and the Polish Ambassador had
had an interview with Stalin in the presence of Molotov, and Stalin
himself personally changed the previous order, approving the suggestion
that the Polish Army, now estimated to be 60,000 strong, should be
increased to the marjmiim capacity, and furthermore, that the training of
all available Poles should be speeded up. The climax of the bargaining